Thursday, March 26, 2015

Rise of the Runelords


   This is the first game I will write about, and this is a premade adventure by Paizo. This was created before they even had their system but has been remade to fit with their rule changes. My older brother Steven is the Game Master for this game and while I have played it before, it was so long ago that I feel like I am playing it for the first time.

   We begin in the city of Sandpoint in Varisia. This is a small fishing village that remains relatively peaceful, but sometimes has to deal with goblin raids. Our party is currently a bunch of strangers. We are all in town for our own reasons and just happen to have arrived in time for a celebration. Their old church was burned down with the priest inside and they finally finished building the new church and have a new priest. It appears to be another happy day in Sandpoint where the officials are giving speeches.

   Suddenly we hear a scream and then another, then the sounds of hundreds of little feet marching. As they get closer, we begin to hear their songs (Which were beautifully performed by my brother in his best "Goblin" voice). The song relates their desire to burn and pillage things as well as kill dogs; because they are afraid of dogs. My oldest brother Sean sees a dog and decides he wants to keep it mere seconds before Steven reads out the passage that reveals the dog as their first victim. I witness Sean's expression melt into one of true sadness. He really....REALLY...wanted his monk to have a pet. They continue marching and then all hell breaks loose. They appear to be well disciplined until they enter combat. Immediately a few are on fire, and running around like crazy. Before we can react, a group climb up on the ale table while another squad rush the fuel cart. We scramble to fight them off and I expertly throw an alchemical solution on the alcohol table, killing one goblin and igniting the fire to burn the rest. My tiefling (A human tainted by demon blood) laughs excitedly, because he truly loves flames. My mother (Yes, my mother plays this game) rushes forward and slays two goblins in a single turn while the halfling twins rush in and began tackling Goblins to the ground. Sean made his character to be very peaceful in combat and instead of slaying the Goblins, decides to Grapple with one and bind him with ropes.

   The battle last for only another round and Sean bats a Goblin away with his bound prisoner. The halflings kill a Goblin and a few of our foes kill their own brethren in stupid fails. In order to preserve my limited explosives, I instead use my turn to head towards the boss. By the time I arrive the whole party is there and has now had a chance to fight him. He dies and then suddenly it is my turn and my weapons, which splash all over the place seem useless, until I remember that if I throw it behind an enemy everyone else will be out of range. I grab an acid vial and chuck it past the warchanter, it splashes all over his skin, burning it's way to the bone and our cleric finishes him off with a brutal blow.


Thus ends the first battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment